Monday, June 12, 2006

I got in trouble...

... just before i was about to leave California.
I was driving home from my friend Ryan’s house when the police pulled me over. Apparently I had not put on my turn signal early enough. I didn’t have my drivers liscence with me which was bad. I guess it wasn’t bad enought cause then they came up with the idea I was on drugs.

They were convinced I had taken meph (I didn’t even know what that is and I have no idea how to spell it either…). They didn’t believe me when I told them I’ve never taken any drugs in my life ever. After a bunch of weird tests (like blinding me with their flash light, checking my tongue or taking my pulse) they were even more convinced I took drugs. They said they have to arrest me for driving under the influence of drugs. I was scared I would have to spend the night in prison.
I was hoping it would help to let them know i am a Misisonary at the House of Prayer but they were just mocking me for being a missionary on drugs.

They searched my car and questioned me over and over again, wanting to hear from me that i took drugs. After 1 hour of torture they let me walk home all by myself (at 11:30 at night) to get one of my neighbors to pick up my car cause I wasn’t allowed to drive it anymore. With the drug situation they would deal later, they said. I really didn’t know if I should laugh or cry so I did a bit of both while walking home.

I got my next door neighbor Anna out of bed and she gave me a ride to my car. The cops weren’t there anymore to arrest me and I was afraid they would come to my house later. So Anna called the police and they said they dropped the drug thing but that I would have to go to court the next day to pay for my ticket. The police officer who had pulled me over had written me a ticket (failure of using turn signal and driving without liscence) and told me if I don’t take care of it they would arrest me at the border if I would ever come back to the U.S.

So I went to court the next morning. Because they didn’t know how much it would be yet, they sent me in to see the judge. I didn’t really know what to do so I just watched what the people did that were questioned by the judge before me. It was a bit scary cause the judge wasn’t in a good mood and everyone in that room was upset and angry. When it was my turn I showed him my drivers liscence. He said because there are high fines in Germany for driving without your liscence (which isn’t true) I need to give them some slack and pay $132.

I wish I would have some pictures of this story…….
My grandpa once gave me a little tiny camera which is used by spies. Maybe I should carry it always with me in case I get in trouble again, so I can take pics for you guys….
I would have loved to show you the picture when I stuck my tongue out to the police officer…

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamatha said...

That is nasty! I can't believe that they treated you that way. If I were there I would have given them a verbal lashing for sure for being so rude. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home